Friday, 18 October 2019 | Login
Roo Xina Roo Xina

“No Suspension” for Chinese Fishing Company Featured

DILI – The Chinese fishing company Pingtan Marine Enterprise that has been found with 43 tons of protected shark in its catch, has not had its licence suspended Timor-Leste’s Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries said Monday.

Aleixo da Silva said he had “no comment” about the future operation of Pingtan, saying only that the company had made no attempts to hide its catch when its 15 vessels were investigated.

The comment came after widespread public outcry from conservationists demanding the Timor-Leste government explain the vessels were able to operate in the south Timor Sea without proper monitoring.

The government granted the 15 Chinese vessels a 12-month permit last November to fish inside its sovereign waters for just US$312,450.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Chinese company running the boats, Pingtan Marine Enterprise has boasted previously that each of its vessels can generate annual revenue of approximately US$3 million.

Pingtan was banned from Indonesian waters in 2015 and threatened with court action for alleged theft of fish.

Silva said the vessels were being investigated by a task force led Prime Minister Rui Maria de Araújo.

 

Read 1825 times Last modified on Thursday, 02 March 2017 10:36
Rate this item
(0 votes)

About Author

MidAd1